Monday, February 20, 2012

Moving to Australia Part III: We Have Arrived

View Part I here and Part II here.

Three days. Three days in Australia is all it took for me to get bitten on the neck by a spider. How stereotypical can you get? That’s like coming to Canada and within 72 hours you're having maple syrup fed to you by a beaver (wow, that really didn't come out the way I intended). By the way, where the bite is concerned I’m not joking around. This is what my neck looks like:


The thing latched on in the middle of the night and woke me up. I have no idea what it looked like, but here’s an artist’s rendition:


Yes, I’ll admit that I’m not 100% certain there’s spiders out there who have flames on their abdomen, but you can be damn sure that if there are you don’t want to be bitten by one.

Obviously other things have happened since getting here. For instance, we’ve tried to get a home. That’s pretty much the end of the list of things we’ve done: I got bitten on the neck by a spider, and we’ve tried to find a place to live. Do you have any idea what it’s like trying to find a place near the University right when school’s coming back into session? Not fun. All the trekking around the city does give you time to make some observations though. Here’s some for your perusal:

Weather: Sydney is hot and muggy. It is not dry. All of the locals claim that this summer is different than the rest, but in actual fact it’s sunny during the day, then there’s a monsoon at 6pm. And I’m not sure that this year is actually an anomoly. Everyone we’ve spoken to who isn’t originally from Sydney agrees that it rains here way more than the locals claim. So it’s damp and hot and pretty much perfect Paul sweating weather. That said it’s fantastic when the sun is out. Eat it, northern hemisphere.

Walking: We’ve walked over 50km around town in 5 days, including 17.5km in one day. That’s what happens when you’re suddenly poor, need to find a house, and have no knowledge of the area you’re in. I’ll also refer you to my point above about sweating and note that I don’t have access to laundry services. Fortunately I brought every item of dry-fit I own, however I’ll probably have to burn them before the week is out.

Lesbians: This is purely a commentary, so don't get your knickers in a twist people. I couldn’t care less how your brain is wired for humping. But apparently the Newtown region in Sydney has more lesbians per-capita than anywhere else in the world and wow can I believe it. Not the place to open a salon. Just sayin’.

My phone: This steaming hunk of kangaroo turd is my new phone:


Look, I’m not a diva or anything but I had an iPhone. Now I have to use this echoing soup can to talk to people? It makes me sound like T-Pain.

Fridges: Rental units don’t come with fridges! What the hell! People lug their fridge around to every place they live and just cross their fingers that it fits the new apartment, I have no idea why this is the case. I can’t even hazard a guess. I am bewildered.


Our Bags: It’s probably about time for me to harken back to my first post in this series and explain why my hands were shaking. Well, it’s not the spider bite. It’s not the yard sale, the car exportation, the flight, or all the walking. No, it’s a completely avoidable thing: Our bags. You see, Erika and I decided that we were going to get bags that fit our full allotment of space and weight for the flight. Fortunately, Samsonite sells this tidy little number:


Works great. In the photo. You want the reality of what travelling with this bag is? Well here you have it:


Every time I dive into the thing it’s an expletive soaked tirade. By the way, we’re currently staying in the catholic dorm on campus. I want fresh socks and inside of ten minutes I’ve taken the auditory virginity of half the girls in the hallway. I cannot stress how much I hate this bag. And if the pure use of it wasn’t bad enough, try carrying the thing. Look at the photo one more time… there is no shoulder strap. These things hold 25kg of luggage each and you have to drag the bloody bag around by the handles. The best part is that my back is so bad that I can’t carry just one. If I try to it off-balances me and wrenches my spine 6 inches to the right, so instead I’m stuck carrying 110 lbs. of clothes and anger every time we change locations. This was particularly delightful when we moved to our current home, given that the pedestrian entrance is 250 meters from the front door! I finally settled on looping my forearms through the handles and basically running until I couldn’t carry them any further, then stopping and trying not to cry. It was the best.

So this is a) why my hands were shaking, and b) why we need to find a place as soon as humanly possible. The prospect of carrying those boulders around again when we get kicked out of here genuinely crushes my soul. But hey, I’m a positive guy right?

Take care everyone.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clarifying the shaking hands. Based on your experience so far, I'd suggest you stay away from the water. If that's not possible, don't go very far out and absolutely don't do anything that gives you the appearance of a seal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the spider bite. It might help your back to buy two or three cheap suitcases on wheels if you are planning to stay a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do spider bites make you unusually pale after too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was probably a flying fox. Otherwise known as the fanged cats with leathery wings that suck your blood and shit acid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Expect that the cab will be dirty by anyone’s standard. Expect that if you specifically request that the cab be cleaned that this means someone might spend 5-minutes with a dry rag, and maybe a deodorizing spray. cheap moving companies cross country

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog has communicated its importance in a short yet clear way, so compact.
    Removals service

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this! Pro Moving Solutions

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. budget movers singapore

    ReplyDelete
  10. These should not be discounted especially if your main concern the furniture rubbing against each other. If you are packing your own pod, or container - you can use space savers with great success. شركات نقل الاثاث بمدينة نصر

    ReplyDelete
  11. One other item that will help you decipher a free moving quote is a moving dictionary or glossary of moving terms.removal companies

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually. the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best. with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews. than by all means come in and check our stuff. Australia itinerary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, what a fun read! But, seriously I hope you go that bite checked out!Check out this Australia Tour Packages!

    ReplyDelete
  14. RC is the Dubai movers company that provides a stress-free service of Movers in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah. We give assured service without any household items damages. We provide all the relevant and necessary details at affordable prices. We have good workers of moving services who can give you a safe and secure service within a limited time period. If you need moving services then call us now on 0522730064.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We give quick service of Movers and packers Abu Dhabi and all over Dubai and UAE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you are searching for LG fridge repair sharjah, Siemens fridge repair sharjah and Ajman? You can choose us for the reliable and attractive service at very affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Moving is an unconditional situation which can even hit your budget. When a person has to move to a distant place, he has to plan the move according to his financial situation. Moving services

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eagle Technical services are the best painting service provider company in Dubai. Our company is the best company for Dubai professional painter service, Professional painter dubai, Building painting service dubai, Dubai painting service, professional painting company dubai, Interior Exterior painting service dubai, Dubai painting service, and Exterior painting work dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you are looking for experienced Lighting Contractors in Patna that have adequate general liability and workers compensation insurance. Combined Contracts is the honest and reputable lighting contractors in Patna that just fixing a light that stopped working by the specialized electrician.

    ReplyDelete